The Nieuwe Toren is located at the Oudestraat in the city of Kampen. This Carillon tower was built in the period between 1649-1664 partly according to a design by Philips Vingboons. The lower brick-built part was erected by the Edam mill maker Dirck Janzn. The design for the lantern was made by Philips Vingboons, which may have originally been intended for the Town hall now the Royal Palace of Amsterdam. The construction work went through many setbacks, the work even came to a standstill during the period 1655-1660.
The Tower houses a carillon which originally was cast and composed by François Hemony. Hemony cast 30 bells in 1659/62, which, with the exception of one little bell that was replaced in 1790 by L Haverkamp, are still present. During the first years, these Hemony bells were located in the Tower of the Kamper Town Hall, as the Nieuwe Toren hadn’t been finished yet. As the town hall tower was unable to provide room for the largest bells, these were only added when the instrument finally was installed in the Nieuwe Toren, in 1663. The added bass bells included 3 by Hemony, 4 bells by Geert van Wou and one by Kiliaen Wegewaert . This addition of very large bass bells made the instrument an exceptionally heavy and low-sounding carillon.
Copyright: CC 3.0