The Doelenpoort was the entrance to the St. Joris and Sebastiaandoelen. This was the shooting range of the two Leiden civil guard groups (schutterijen). The gate was designed by Arent van 's Gravensande in 1645 and build from sandstone. The statues on top of the gate show St. Joris defeating the dragon.
In 1795 the "schutterij" lost it's defensive meaning and the area was transformed to a military area.