The Buitenmolen is a tower mill in Zevenaar, the Netherlands which was restored to working order in 1970. The mill was built in the beginning of the sixteenth century and is listed as a Rijksmonument, number 40427.
The first mention of a windmill on this site dates from 1408; however, this probably refers to an older post mill, which was later replaced by the current brick tower mill. Research on the brickwork of European tower mills by a historian points to a year of construction that cannot be earlier than about 1500. The mill was initially the property of Lord of the Duchy Kleef and continued to be owned by successive landlords, until it was sold into private ownership in 1866 to the then leaseholder Van Grinten. After his death, it was sold to mill worker Johannes Gerritsen. In the 1930s, the change was made from wind to motor power, and the sails, tailpole and internal gearings were removed. All milling stopped in 1955, after which the municipally of Zevenaar became the owner in 1966. They had the windmill restored in 1969.
Copyright: CC 3.0
6901 CC Zevenaar