Het Fortuyn is a tower mill in the Netherlands Open Air Museum, Arnhem, Gelderland, Netherlands which was built in 1920 and is in working order.
Het Fortuyn was originally built at Delft, South Holland in 1696. The first mill on that site was a post mill built in 1551 and demolished during the Eighty Years' War. Permission was granted in 1603 for a replacement mill to be erected. This was also a post mill, known as the Slikmolen. It is shown in the painting Gezicht op Delft gezien vanuit het noorden by Hendrik Cornelisz Vroom. The painting is in the Museum Het Prinsenhof, Delft. Het Fortuyn was thus the third mill on this site. Circa 1800, the mill was still known as the Slikmolen, gaining the name Het Fortuyn between 1807 and 1817. The mill drove four pairs of millstones. In 1873, a pair of millstones for the production of pearl barley was added. In the late 19th century the mill was owned by the Rossum family, and was also known as the Molen van Rossum. In the early 20th century, the Frans-Hollandse Oliefabrieken Calvé and the Nederlandsche Gist- en Spiritusfabriek purchased the mill as they were expanding their oil mills. The mill was dismantled in 1917. It was re-erected at the Netherlands Open Air Museum, Arnhem in 1920. The mill's windshaft was broken during the dismantling of the mill. A new one was procured for use in the re-erected mill. The costs of demolishing and re-erecting the mill were shared between the oil mills and the Gemeente Arnhem.
Copyright: CC 3.0