De Hoop is a smock mill in Stiens, Friesland, Netherlands which was rebuilt in 1993 after the earlier mill burned down. It is operational and manned by volunteers.
The first mill on this site was built in 1847 but stood only a few years before new owner Jan Pieters Duinkerk had it replaced by a larger mill which was finished in 1854 and operated by his son Pieter Jans Duinkerk. The new mill changed hands several times, the successive owners were Auke Jacobs Bakker, Dirk Jans van der Wal and Jan Johannes van der Leij. Van der Leij's son Johannes Jans inherited the mill and kept milling until the smock was demolished in 1922. The base was left standing and survived for over half a century as storage space.
Copyright: CC 3.0