Anyone who knows Dudok's architecture would be surprised by the Rembrandt School. Most of Dudok's schools are open and inviting, but the Rembrandt School looks closed. It looks more like a fortification. It was during the period (1919-1920) when Dudok had just been appointed as director of Public Works for the municipality of Hilversum.
There was a great need in Hilversum for secondary schools. The city council was thus happy that the Rembrandt School would house a 'day school for Business education' and a Mulo (lower secondary school).
In the large building, two schools were installed, each with its own entrance. The building included 12 lesson rooms, of which 9 were for the Mulo and 3 for the Business school.
As marking, Dudok designed decorative masts and flag poles for the high parts of the school, but it was not until the restoration between 1999 and 2001 that the decorative masts were placed. For this 'early' school by Dudok, the windows are low, and students could look out at the street from their desks.
The school also included a residence for a concierge. This is on the 'Frans Hals lane' side and still serves as a residence.
The school had the same function for a long time. After 1968, the school became known as Goois Evening Lyceum, and thereafter as Goois Day and Evening College. Now, it is an international Primary School. The school is not open to the public.