Cortenbach Castle is one of five castles in the city of Voerendaal. The castle is situated northeast of Voerendaal. Nowadays it is private property, hence it is not open for public.
The original medieval castle, from whose remains the current castle was built, and its farmhouse both date back to the 14th century. The only remains of the original castle are the two round towers, which were built with "Kunradersteen" which was found locally. These towers probably were the corner towers of the front part of the original castle. Further a part of the original castle's wall remains.
The current castle was built around 1713 AD as a mansion by the German Herman Lamberts after he ordered for the demolition of the old castle. This merchant from Aachen was lord of Cortenbach since 1682 AD. In 1776 AD large parts of the castle were rebuilt again. In 1869 the last widow of the Dutch line of the De Lamberts de Cortenbach family died at the castle.
The front castle has a characteristic entrance gate with a union shaped spire. A farm is located in it nowadays. Since 1939 the castle itself used to be an exclusive hotel/restaurant. At current day the headquarters of a company is located in it.
The castle is a national monument.
6367 GE Voerendaal