Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Nederland, Limburg, 6367 GN, Voerendaal, Hoensweg, 17
Number of texts: 1
The first high ranking resident of the “Hoenshuis” (translated Hoen’s house) was Johan Hoen, also known as Jan Hoen of Voerendaal (1350-1443). He was a son of Catharina Chapelle and knight Nicolaes (Claes) Hoen, Sherrif of Maastricht. His brother was Herman, the first lord of Hoensbroeck.
Johan also was Lord of Eys from 1369 till 1443. He was one of the lords involved in the “Landvredebond” of 1351, which was a pact between the Dukes of Brabant and Gulik and the notables of the cities between Rhine and Meuse, to stop the ongoing rebellions and wars.
It’s not clear wether he signed the treaty, but he definitely did not live to it.
In 1369 the Duke of Brabant started a punitive expedition against Dirk Mulrepas of Eys and Jan Hoen of Voerendaal because the two lords constantly were at war with each other, they both infested the surrounding lands and they collected their own tolls at the trading routes crossing their lands.
The Mulrepas family was chased away from their lands and Castle Goedenraad at Eys was completely destroyed.
Nowadays things aren’t as hectic as they used to be in Medieval times. A big golf estate now surrounds the Hoenshuis.