In 1940, the then mayor Van Grunsven promised that Heerlen would build a Peace Church emerged as the city unscathed from the war would come. Peutz has also submitted a proposal for it, in which the church would be next to the town hall. Those plans were abandoned, but in a modest way realized by the Memorial Chapel on the Akerstraat placed at the entrance of the General Cemetery. The chapel is octagonal in shape because eight is the symbol of the resurrection. The central building is made of irregular blocks Namur stone and crowned with a high lantern. Eugène Laudy is responsible for the stained-glass windows on the theme of the Resurrection. In the chapel is a Madonna and Child on a marble pillar, a work by Frans Timmermans.