Public | Dutch
The church was probably built at the harbour in the 13th or 14th century. In 1354 at least mention was made of a church dedicated to the Apostle Bartholomew. Originally a cross church, it was converted in 1658 into a hall church and fitted with pillars in the Doric style. According to a memorial stone in the church, the north cover was completely renovated in 1657 and the defects were restored in 1658. After the Reformation in the 16th century it became a Protestant church. The Catholics later built a new church on the Wal, which was also named after Bartholomew.
The tower dates from the 15th century. Because in the course of time the tower started leaning increasingly to one side, it was proposed to demolish it in the beginning of the 20th century. Eventually it was decided to restore the church and tower. During the restoration, which lasted from 1927-1934, sixty concrete piles were struck in ground to prevent the tower from falling over. Since then, the tower has been leaning for about one and a half meters out of the vertical. Since this restoration, the church has a very wide transept.
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com