Public | Dutch
The gate owes its name to the ferry connection between Schoonhoven and Gelkenes on the other side of the Lek. It is the only remaining gate of the city. Schoonhoven used to have four other ports: the Kruispoort, the Williger or Langerakkerpoort, the Lopikerpoort and the Vrouwepoort.
The original Veerpoort was built in the 14th century at the Veerstraat / Scheepmakershaven intersection. At the end of the 16th century, Schoonhoven was expanded and new ramparts were laid. The Veerpoort, which thus came to lie within the ramparts, was demolished. In 1601 the current Veerpoort was built, a bit further towards the river. At that time Messrs. Cluijt and Blockhuijsen were mayors of the city, as also appears from the inscription ANNO DOMINI 1601 - TEMPORE CLVTY BLOCKHVSII CONSVLVM on the frieze at the Lekkant. In the space above the gate, the gatekeeper lived until 1862.
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com