The Scots International Church is located in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. An English-language Protestant church in the Presbyterian tradition, it is part of the Church of Scotland, within the Church's Presbytery of Europe.
The church was first built in 1643 for the many Scottish merchants, sailors and soldiers who lived in Rotterdam, and was built on behalf of the city. The first Scottish minister was Alexander Petrie, who travelled from Perth in Scotland to take up his position. In 1722 the church was extended with a special almshouse for widows and orphans of fallen Scots soldiers. The 17th-century church was destroyed in the 1940 bombing of Rotterdam. The current building in the Schiedamsevest dates from 1952 and was designed by MCA Meischke.
Copyright: CC 3.0