Around 1674 in or near Muiden locks were build to prevent floodings of the area by water from the Zuiderzee and also to be used as inundations for the (Old) Dutch Waterline defence system.
The locks in the river Vecht about 10 kilometers inland near Hinderdam were then disused.
In 1975-1976 the locks were modernised and restored. Hydraulic installations replaced the manual work of operating the locks. The locks are nowadays primarily in use for pleasure boating. The cast iron bridge over the locks dates from 1870.