Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 1
The National theatre, dedicated to Queen Mary II of Portugal, located in the Rossio square was rebuild in 1842 on the site of the old Estaus Palace, built around 1450 as a lodging for foreign dignitaries and noblemen visiting Lisbon.
At the front of the theatre are six columns in greek ionic style that were rescued from the Saint Francis Convent which had been badly damaged during the earthquake of 1755.
Linked themes: History