The Church of Fontarcada or Matriz de Fontarcada was a Romanesque monastic church to a Benedictine monastery founded in 1067, now the parish church of Fontarcada. It was classified as a National Monument by decree on 16 June 1910. It is dedicated to Saint Saviour. The monastery was founded by a donation of D. Godinho Fafes (or Falifaz), father of the rich count D. Henrique, responsible for building the hunting-lodge of Fontarcada, in whose yard the church was built, possibly at the start of the 12th century. Today nothing remains of the monastery buildings, the monastery having been extinguished in the 14th or 15th centuries.
Copyright: CC 3.0