Diário de Notícias was first published in Lisbon on 29 December 1864 by Tomás Quintino Antunes and Eduardo Coelho. At its early phase the paper had no explicit political stance and financially relied on the advertisements. Its headquarters is in Lisbon. During the 1880s the novelist Eça de Queiroz, then stationed in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England in the Portuguese diplomatic service, contributed occasional "London letters" to the newspaper. Some of these were afterwards published in a book entitled Cartas de Inglaterra.
Before the Carnation revolution Diário de Notícias belonged to the Empresa Nacional de Publicidade a propaganda arm of the dictatorship. Following the Carnation revolution, the paper remained nationalized until the early 1990s. Then the paper and Jornal de Notícias were sold to the Lusomundo group. Both papers are now owned by Angolan media conglomerate Global Media Group .
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com