The Convent of Nossa Senhora do Carmo (Portuguese: Convento da Nossa Senhora do Carmo), or alternately identified as Our Lady of Mount Carmel, was in fact referred to as the Convent of Our Lady of Help/Aid (Portuguese: Convento da Nossa Senhora do Socorro) is a medieval carmelite convent and church complex in the civil parish of Lagoa in the municipality of Lagoa in the Portuguese Algarve. The original convent was all but destroyed in the 1755 Lisbon earthquake. After the extinction of the religious orders in Portugal in 1834, the property was taken over by a signeurial family who continued to provide church services.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com