It was constructed at the end of the 1760s. Its original name was Adolf Fredriks torg , but it was renamed "Mariatorget" in 1959 to avoid confusion with the church and parish of Adolf Fredrikskyrkan in Norrmalm. The modern name alludes to the nearby Maria Magdalena kyrka and the surrounding parish.
The square faces the street of Hornsgatan to the north, and the street of S:t Paulsgatan to the south. The street Swedenborgsgatan, named after Emanuel Swedenborg, starts there and continues southwards.
In the northeast part is a bust in bronze from 1973 depicting Emanuel Swedenborg by Gustav Nordahl .
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0