Oak Bluffs was first settled in 1642. The town re-incorporated in 1907 as Oak Bluffs, so named because the town was the site of an oak grove along the bluffs. Oak Bluffs originally began as the center for tourism on the Vineyard. Oak Bluffs became a mecca for travelers from around the world as early as the beginning of the 1800's. It also became a center of the thriving 19th century Methodist movement.