The Pilgrim Monument of Provincetown, Massachusetts was built between 1907 and 1910 to commemorate the first landfall of the Pilgrims in 1620 and the signing in Provincetown Harbor of the Mayflower Compact. It was designed by Willard T. Sears after the Torre del Mangia in Siena, Italy, designed by Arguolo and Agostino in 1309. The design was controversial because of its lack of any obvious relevance to the Pilgrim Fathers. One Boston architect derided it, saying "If all they want is an architectural curiosity, then why not select the Leaning Tower of Pisa and be done with it?" It was also noted that Boston itself already had a copy of the same tower; Boston's tower, made of brick like the Italian original, was built in 1892 by Edmund March Wheelwright, is 156 feet tall, was originally designed as part of the central fire station and used as a fire lookout, and is now home to the Pine Street Inn.