Sankaty Head lighthouse was built in 1850 and is still in operation. In 1987, the Sankaty Lighthouse was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
According to the National Park Service, only the lower part of the tower is original. The lantern and stairs are reproductions.
The lighthouse was moved away from an eroding bluff (approximately 400 feet) in October 2007.