Great Point Light also called Nantucket (Great Point) Light was built in 1784. The original wooden tower was destroyed by fire in 1816. The following year a stone tower was erected which stood until toppled in a storm in March 1984. Rebuilt again in 1986, the stone tower was built to replicate the old one, and still remains in operation today. The lighthouse sits on a thin spit of beach where the currents of the Atlantic Ocean and Nantucket Sound meet.