14 Wall Street, originally the Bankers Trust Company Building, is a skyscraper at 14 Wall Street at the corner of Nassau Street and running through to Pine Street in the Financial District of Manhattan in New York City. It sits across Nassau Street from Federal Hall National Memorial, across Wall Street from the New York Stock Exchange and diagonally across from the original headquarters of J. P. Morgan & Company. It was built in 1910-12 and was designed by Trowbridge & Livingston in the neoclassical style as the headquarters for Bankers Trust. An addition with Art Deco detailing, designed by Shreve, Lamb & Harmon, was constructed in 1931-33. The stepped pyramid at the building's top is a noted part of the downtown skyline, and became the logo for Bankers Trust, which sold the building in 1937.
The concept behind the building's design was to place the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus on top of St Mark's Campanile in Venice. Many early skyscrapers took the Venetian bell-tower as a logical model for a modern office tower, but 14 Wall Street was the first to top it off with a temple in the sky, a seven-story stepped pyramid modeled on one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Bankers Trust, for whom the building was constructed, then adopted the pyramid as its trademark, and took as its slogan "A Tower of Strength".
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
9 South William Street, NY 10004 New York, New York, United States
© 2006-2020 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com