Proprietary House in Perth Amboy, Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States, is the only Proprietary Governor's Mansion of the Original Thirteen Colonies still standing. Under the watchful eye of architect and builder John Edward Pryor, construction began in 1762 and was completed in 1764. The Georgian style "mansion" was first occupied by Mr. Chief Justice Smyth by rent and approval of "The Proprietors" in town on April 10, 1766 to 1773. In May of 1773, the mansion was repaired and fitted to be the residence of the royal governor of New Jersey, and leased by the Proprietors as such.
Copyright: CC 3.0