Church of St. Joseph of Arimathea, originally known as Worthington Memorial Chapel, is a historic Episcopal church at 2172 Saw Mill River Road in Greenburgh, Westchester County, New York. It was designed by noted architect Richard M. Upjohn (1828 – 1903) and built in 1883 in an eclectic Victorian Gothic Revival style. It was built in four phases: The original 1883 chapel, 1901 addition, the addition in 1953 of a ground floor meeting room, and an enlargement and remodeling of the 1953 addition in 1990. The original chapel and 1901 addition are built of random-coursed, rock faced ashlar with corner buttresses, and high pitched gable roof with low parapets. The chapel is cruciform in plan and features a three story bell tower with large segmental arched opening and a conical roof. A large three-part stained glass window and smaller three part windows in the two transepts are attributed to John La Farge (1835 – 1910) and installed around 1883. It was originally built by the family of pump manufacturer Henry R. Worthington (1817-1880) as a chapel and crypt.
Copyright: CC 3.0