The Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown Riverfront, is a 367-room, 25-story high-rise hotel opened in 1965 adjacent to Cobo Center in downtown Detroit, Michigan.
The Plaza Land Company was established in 1955 to construct a modern hotel on a site adjacent to the planned Convention Hall and Exhibits Building. In 1956, the company announced a partnership with Conrad Hilton to construct a $24 million hotel, to be named the Pontchartrain Hilton. However the Hilton Hotels Board vetoed the deal in 1960, after which the Plaza Land Company turned to Samuel and Aaron Gershenson's Downtown Investment Company, which assumed control of the project.
Copyright: CC 3.0