Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United States, Multnomah
Number of texts: 2
The Skidmore Fountain is a historic fountain in Portland, Oregon, United States. It was dedicated September 22, 1888, in memory of Stephen G. Skidmore, a wealthy Portland druggist who died in 1883, and partly financed by his will. It was designed by sculptor Olin Levi Warner for $18,000, all of which was donated. It is styled after fountains Skidmore viewed at Versailles on his visit to the 1878 Paris Exposition and intended for “horses, men and dogs” to drink from. Henry Weinhard offered to pump beer into the fountain at the dedication. It is Portland’s “oldest piece of public art”.
The Skidmore Fountain station is a light rail station on the MAX Blue and Red Lines in Portland, Oregon. It is currently the fifth stop eastbound on the Eastside MAX. It was previously also served by the Yellow Line, from 2004 to 2009, until that line’s relocation to the Portland Transit Mall.