Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United States, Lincoln
Number of texts: 1
New Cliff House, also known as the Hotel Gilmore and now known as the Sylvia Beach Hotel, was built in 1913 in Newport, Oregon as a hotel in 1913. The hotel was built for W.D. Wheeler and was promoted by the Southern Pacific Railroad in its literature advertising the connection of Yaquina Bay to the mail rail line at Corvallis. The New Cliff House replaced an earlier boarding house (The “Clff House”) at the same location. The popularity of the new resort at Newport was enhanced by the availability of alcohol, something unusual in the mostly “dry” area. The hotel overlooks Nye Beach, and is the only remnant of the tourist accommodations of that era in the Nye Beach section of Newport.