Marshfield High School is a public high school in Coos Bay, Oregon, United States. Coos Bay is located on the southern Oregon coast. The campus consists of four major buildings, including an Intermediate building which opened in 2000 that serves as a math and science building. It also has a gymnasium that seats 4,000. There is also a separate facility that houses the Drama program. Marshfield High School started in 1908 after being bought from the International Order of Odd Fellows, who owned the cemetery the school is built around. Construction of the first building later known as the East Branch was finished a year after the purchase and was soon followed by a small gym with a pool in 1915. By 1938, the small building was becoming crowded so the decision was made to make another building. With the help of architect Francis Marion Stokes of Portland Oregon, the Main Building and the West Gym were added to the campus. In 1952, another gym was installed in the center of campus claiming the name Main Gym. The Main Building was extended onto the North side in 1953, and the West side in 1962. The old East Branch was becoming out dated with the tall pillars and peaked roof compared to the Art Deco style of the rest of the campus, so it was remodeled in 1958. Just before the turn of the century, the school decided to instal another building at the North side. The old East Branch was becoming old, but the town wanted to keep it around for sentimental value, until the plaster ceiling came toppling down onto a desk. Once Pirate Hall was completed in January 2000, the East Branch was relieved of duty, and soon became the parking lot for the students.
In 2008, 78% of the school's seniors received their high school diploma. Of 268 students, 210 graduated, 37 dropped out, 1 received a modified diploma, and 20 are still in high school. In 2013, approximately 1,300 students remain at Marshfield High School
Copyright: CC 3.0