Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United States, Montgomery
Number of texts: 1
Plymouth Friends Meetinghouse is a historic Quaker meeting house at the corner of Germantown and Butler Pikes in Plymouth Meeting, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. It was built in 1708, and is constructed of native limestone. A wing was added in 1780, and the interior was rebuilt in 1867 after a fire. The porch was also added in 1867, and a rear wing added in 1945. During the American Revolutionary War, the building was used as a hospital for George Washington’s troops and known as the “Camp at Plymouth Meeting House.” The meeting house was a hub of activity on the Underground Railroad and Lucretia Mott is known to have attended a meeting here. Noted artist Thomas Hovenden (1840-1895) is buried in the adjacent cemetery. Plymouth Meeting Friend School is under the care of the meeting and is located on site.