Tindley Temple United Methodist Church, also known as Tindley Temple Methodist Episcopal Church and Calvary United Methodist Church, is a historic Methodist Episcopal church located in the Southwest Center City neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was built between 1923 and 1928, and is a large masonry building influenced by the Beaux-Arts Romanesque and Art Deco styles. The front facade features patterned tan brick and rounded arched grouped windows. A school and office addition was built in 1962-1963. The sanctuary was built to accommodated 3,200 worshipers and features a large, reinforced concrete balcony and organ built by M. P. Moller. The church is named for its founder Rev. Dr. Charles Albert Tindley (1851–1933).
Copyright: CC 3.0