The Englehart Melchinger House in the borough of Dover, York County, Pennsylvania, is the restored home of a prominent 19th Century businessman, Englehart Melchinger. It was built about 1852, and is a rectangular brick building with Greek Revival and Italianate design details. It features an entrance portico with Doric order columns, heavy scroll brackets, and a paneled frieze; and cast iron lintels.
Melchinger was the son of Israel Melchinger, an American Revolutionary War Hessian soldier who settled in Dover after the war rather than returning to Germany. Upon his father's death in 1834; Englehart assumed the role of the town's postmaster. He amassed personal wealth through several business ventures, including a lumber company.
Copyright: CC 3.0