Old West, Dickinson College is a building designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe in 1803 and completed in 1822. It was the original building of Dickinson College. The construction of Old West, known then as 'New College,' was authorized and began in 1798. The effort was in response to the complaints that students could not live at the College. On June 20, 1799, the first cornerstone was laid by John Keen of Carpenters Co., Philadelphia. While in construction in 1803, however, the brick portion of West College burnt down. In an attempt to rebuild a building that would be compatible with that of Princeton University, Judge Breckenridge went to Philadelphia to consult Benjamin Latrobe, who had remodeled Princeton's Nassau Hall and had completed extensive design work on the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
Cumberland, United States
© 2006-2019 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com