Colonial Revival, 1922
This is one of two “flatiron” buildings in Portland. (The second is on Middle Street, south of Monument Square.) Both were occupied by the local drug firm of H.H. Hay and Sons. This building was designed by Charles Q. Clapp, a prominent Portland real estate speculator and self-taught architect. The arched second story windows, wood louvered fans, and recessed panels separating them are features of the Federal style. The third story, designed by John Calvin Stevens, was added to the building in 1922. This building was restored by Greater Portland Landmarks in 1980.
Copyright: All rights reserved
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com