The Portland Soldiers and Sailors Monument Association was formed in 1883 to raise funds to build a commemorative statue. The bronze sculpture they commissioned was designed by local sculptor Franklin Simmons, who chose to model the lady of the monument after the goddess of Athena, goddess of wisdom and military victory. The pedestal was designed by Richard Hunt, a prominent New York architect. With the installation of “Our Lady of Victories” as Portland’s Civil War Memorial, “Market Square” became “Monument Square.” Today, the statue dominates a large triangular brick plaza which was enlarged and improved through the Maine Way urban renewal program.
Copyright: All rights reserved