Le Touquet-Paris-Plage was created in 1876 by the owner of the Paris newspaper, Le Figaro. Then this was an area of wild sand dunes and forest - part of a hunting estate. It became known as “Paris by the sea”, and strict building regulations encouraged the most talented architects to create imaginative and innovative developments.
In 1903, an Englishman bought the land, and set out to sell properties to the rich from across the English Channel. In the 1920s, Noel Coward and the “smart set” from England spent weekends here.
Today the town tourist office offers organised trails to see outstanding examples of 19th and 20th century domestic architecture, which are now preserved and protected.
Every year in February, a motorbike & quad race called 'Enduro' where bikes race along the beach and through the dunes.