Rainsford Island, formerly known Hospital Island, Pest House Island, and Quarantine Island, is a 11-acre island in the Boston Harbor, situated between Long Island and Peddocks Island. The island is composed of two drumlins, reaching an elevation of 49 feet above sea level. The shoreline is predominantly rocky with a sandy cove in the south side, and a variety of wildflowers abound. Access is by private boat only. Since 1996 it comprises part of the Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area.
This island was named for one of earliest recorded settlers, Edward Rainsford, nephew of Richard Raynsford; he owned the island by 1632.
Copyright: CC 3.0