Fort William and Mary was a colonial fortification in Britain's worldwide system of defenses, manned by soldiers of the Province of New Hampshire who reported directly to the royal governor. The fort, known locally as "the Castle", was situated on the island of New Castle, New Hampshire, at the mouth of the Piscataqua River estuary. First fortified by the British prior to 1632, the fort guarded access to the harbor at Portsmouth and served as the colony's main munitions depot. In 1774, it was the only permanently manned military post in New Hampshire.
Copyright: CC 3.0