Fort Severn, in present-day Annapolis, Maryland, was built in 1808 on the same site as an earlier American Revolutionary War fort of 1776. Although intended to guard Annapolis harbor from British attack, it never saw action during the War of 1812. The United States Navy acquired Fort Severn and two other military bases from the United States Army on 19 October 1845. The Academy used the structure for classrooms until its demolition in 1909.
The family of Walter Dulany acquired land on the Severn River near Annapolis, Maryland, in 1753. This family and the city of Annapolis contributed land for the construction of the fort. An American Revolutionary War fort of 1776 existed in the area.
Copyright: CC 3.0