Christodora House is a historic building located at 143 Avenue B in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. It was designed by architect Henry C. Pelton, (architect of Riverside Church, Manhattan) in the American Perpendicular Style and constructed in 1928 as a settlement house for low-income and immigrant residents, providing food, shelter, education and health services. The building as originally conceived included a gym, swimming pool, music school and theatre. It was financed by Mr and Mrs Arthur Curtiss James, at a cost over $1 million. Reputedly George and Ira Gershwin played at the grand opening. It is fair to say that the building was the most impressive building of its kind, at the height of the American Settlement House Movement.
Copyright: CC 3.0