Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 1
German submarine U-979 was a Type VIIC U-boat built for Nazi Germany’s Kriegsmarine for service during World War II. She was laid down on 10 August 1942 by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg as yard number 179, launched on 15 April 1943 and commissioned on 20 May 1943 under Kapitänleutnant Johannes Meermeier.
German Type VIIC submarines were preceded by the shorter Type VIIB submarines. U-979 had a displacement of 769 tonnes when at the surface and 871 tonnes while submerged. She had a total length of 67.10 m , a pressure hull length of 50.50 m , a beam of 6.20 m , a height of 9.60 m , and a draught of 4.74 m . The submarine was powered by two Germaniawerft F46 four-stroke, six-cylinder supercharged diesel engines producing a total of 2,800 to 3,200 metric horsepower for use while surfaced, two Brown, Boveri & Cie GG UB 720/8 double-acting electric motors producing a total of 750 metric horsepower for use while submerged. She had two shafts and two 1.23 m propellers. The boat was capable of operating at depths of up to 230 metres .