Source: File Upload Bot (Magnus Manske)
The village of Rosslare Harbour grew up to serve the needs of the harbour of the same name , first developed in 1906 by the Great Western Railway and the Great Southern and Western Railway to accommodate steamferry traffic between Great Britain and Ireland. This port also serves France and traffic is mainly roll-on roll-off . It is thought that harbour expansion and/or privatisation could improve exporting and logistical options for businesses and producers in Ireland offering an alternative to Dublin Port which dominates trade but relies on the UK corridor for much EU trade. Rosslare Harbour railway station opened on 30 August 1906.
Although the harbour itself is located close to the previously existing settlement of Ballygeary, and actually in the townland of Ballygillane Big, it was named after the village of Rosslare, some 4 km away along the coast.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com