Wikipedia

Wikipedia

HomeRoutesPlaces of interest

Rathlin O'Birne

Island

Public | FrenchGerman

Source: AFBorchert

Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0

Rathlin O'Birne is an island located to the south west of Glencolumbkille, County Donegal and 2km west of Malin Beg.

Rathlin O'Birne lighthouse went into operation on 14 April 1856. In 1974 a Radioisotope thermoelectric generator was installed, making it home to Ireland's first nuclear powered lighthouse.
However in by 1987 the power output of the RTG had dwindled to an insufficient level and the lighthouse was converted to wind power, which was in use until 1991 at which point it was converted to solar power

Source: Wikipedia.org

Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0

More information

More about this place of interest

Comments

Routes nearby

Related channels

© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com