Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 1
This church has an interesting history. It was originally an abbey church, founded in 1068. Like many houses of worship, the church and the abbey were destroyed after the French Revolution and the French domination in our regions. Later the church was damaged again several times and then rebuilt. In the early 19th century (1807-1811) it was rebuilt in neoclassical style, with three naves and a built-in west tower. The First World War brought new destruction. In 1923 the current structure was established according to the plans of architect Jules Coomans.
The church is still surrounded by the cemetery including the impressive sepulchral monument of the family de Geus. Also look at the other tombstones in the wall of the northern and southern side aisle of the church.
Stylistically it is an eclectic house of prayer. Its building style is leaning towards the Romanesque Revival with regional and Neo-Byzantine influences. The church is built in typical yellow polder stone. Bluestone was used for ornamental elements.
The interior is Neo-Romanesque. In one of the paintings you see the Augustinian abbey Our Lady Voormezele in 1619, painted by L. Leeg in 1971. A copper plate indicates the names of the “provosts and the abbots of the former abbey of Our Lady of Voormezele”(1972). Some objects in natural stone come from the former abbey, including a holy-water font and a cartouche with shield in the portal.