Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Germany, Wittenberg, Wittenberg
Number of texts: 2
On the doors of All Saints’ Church, the Schlosskirche, Luther nailed his 95 theses in 1517. The wooden doors, burnt in 1760, were replaced in 1858 by bronze doors, bearing the Latin text of the theses. Inside the church are the tombs of Luther and Philipp Melanchthon, and of the electors Frederick the Wise (by Peter Vischer the Younger, 1527) and John the Constant (by Hans Vischer), and portraits of the reformers by Lucas Cranach the Younger.
All Saints’ Church, commonly referred to as Schloßkirche (“Castle church”) to distinguish it from the Stadtkirche (“town church”) of St. Mary — and sometimes known as the Reformation Memorial Church - is a Lutheran church in Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Germany. It is the site where The Ninety-Five Theses were posted by Martin Luther on 31 October 1517, the act that has been called the start of the Protestant Reformation.