Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Dresden
Number of texts: 2
The Busmannkapelle was a side chapel of the Sophienkirche in Dresden. The chapel was built in 1400 when the Sophienkirche was still part of the city’s Franciscan monastery. It was funded by the patrician Busmann family, who used it as a family and funerary chapel and after whom it was named. It was destroyed in February 1945 during the bombing of Dresden in World War II, but in 1994 plans were instigated to reconstruct the chapel on the same site as the Busmannkapelle Memorial, as a memorial to the church as a whole.
The Busmannkapelle Memorial (Gedenkstätte Busmannkapelle) is a building in Dresden. It is a reconstruction of the Busmannkapelle and has been under construction since 2009 (with completion planned for 2011), though planning began in 1995. It is a memorial to the Sophienkirche, lost in the bombing in 1945.
Linked themes: War