Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Frankfurt am Main
Number of texts: 1
The Großmarkthalle , located in the Ostend of Frankfurt am Main, was the city’s main wholesale market, especially for fruit and vegetables. It was closed on 4 June 2004. It is considered a major example of expressionist architecture.
The massive structure on the right bank of the Main, immediately adjacent to Frankfurt’s east port , was designed by Martin Elsaesser as part of the New Frankfurt-project. It was inaugurated on 25 October 1928. With a length of 220 m, a width of 50 m and a height of 17 to 23 m , it was the city’s largest architectural unit at the time. It provided 13,000 square metres of space for a total of 130 stalls, most of which served large-scale customers, such as hospitality businesses or retailers. The building, and its surroundings, also hosted offices and storage space for wholesalers, shipping companies and agencies.