Places of Interest nearby
Location address: España, Cádiz
Number of texts: 1
Iglesia de San Mateo (St. Matthew’s Church) is the main church of Tarifa in the Province of Cadiz, Spain. It was supposed to have been built in 1506 on the remains of an old mosque, although worship at the church has only been mentioned in documents since 1534, another date given for its inauguration. Numerous alterations have been made to the church over the centuries. The main Baroque facade was designed by architect Torcuato Cayon de la Vega in 1774, finishing the work four years later under the direction of maestro Carlos Hermida. The bell tower, square base, robust, and virtually flat throughout the main body of his shaft, ends with a bell tower topped by fluted dome. The Capilla del Sagrario was restored in 1899, a magnificent dome on scallops that extends to the ground forming three semicircular chapels.