Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Oxford, Oxford
Number of texts: 2
The Radcliffe Camera (Camera, meaning “room” in Latin; colloquially, “Rad Cam”) is a building of Oxford University, England, designed by James Gibbs in neo-classical style and built in 1737–1749 to house the Radcliffe Science Library. It is sited to the south of the Old Bodleian, north of St. Mary’s Church, and between Brasenose College to the west and All Souls College to the east.
The Radcliffe Camera was built in 1737–1749 to house the Radcliffe Science Library. The building is named after John Radcliffe, physician to William III and Mary II of England,. He intended to build a library in Oxford at least two years before his death in 1714. It is an annex of the Bodleian Library.
Linked themes: Science