Places of Interest nearby
- NLD, Alkmaar, Gedempte Nieuwesloot, 153
- Huize Voorhout
- Een gouden hart in Huize Westerlicht
- Apies kijken in de Alkmaarder Hout
- De houten parels van Heiloo
- Zonder geld naar de Kattenberg
- Alkmaar centrum van militair onderwijs
- NLD, Alkmaar, Oudegracht 45-91, Wildemanshofje
- Alkmaarse poolstrijd leidde tot nationale voetbaltoto
- NLD, Alkmaar, Langestraat 93-97, Stadhuis
Location address: Alkmaar
Number of texts: 3
Willem Janszoon Blaeu, the famous cartographer, was born in 1571 near Alkmaar. He was the son of a wealthy herring seller. His future was planned to be in the herring trade. To realize this, he moves to Amsterdam to set up a herring. But that turned out to be a disappointment for him. He leaves for Denmark where he becomes the assistant of the great astronomer Tycho Brahe.
The start of paid football in the Netherlands took place on March 12 1953 in Alkmaar because they wanted to collect money for the floods which took place and killed thousands of people in the Netherlands. It was a benefit game between France - Netherlands. That was the start of an own Dutch professional football union.